We all love to have fun in the sun with our four-legged friends, but there are some very important things you need to be cautious and aware of when it comes to your pet’s health during the warmer weather. Follow these 7 tips and to keep your pet safe when the temperature rises.
1. When the temperature soars, exercise your pet early in the morning or last thing at night. If in doubt, avoid exercise. Avoid hot surfaces as these may damage your furry friend’s paws.
2. Be water wise and keep your pet’s bowl filled with fresh water and a few ice cubes. Consider plastic or terracotta bowls over metal ones.
3. Summer road trip here we come, but make sure your car is cool and never leave your dog in the car.
4. Play it cool with a soothing tepid water bath when it’s hot out.
5. Slip, slop, slap…even for your cat. Apply pet-friendly sunscreen to noses, tips of ears and tummies to keep your pet safe from the sun! Remember to keep them inside during the day and away from the peak of the heat.
6. Many dogs love a quick dip – ensure they aren’t left alone in the water and that you dry their ears afterwards. Click here to learn how to teach your dog to swim in 6 easy steps.