Plants or flowers often give that bright feeling to a home, but if you have a feline friend, that beautiful plant could be toxic for cats.

Particular plants are toxic to cats and should be avoided at all times in your home. While in some cases, just parts of a plant might be poisonous, this common list of plants rules out the whole plant all together.

Aloe Vera

While great for soothing human burns, it’s not so nice for our furry friends causing vomiting, depression, diarrhoea, anorexia, tremors, and a urine colour change.


Eating just a few leaves can cause serious problems for your cat. You may notice your cat doesn’t want to eat, is drooling, has diarrhoea, depressed and weakened coordination. If they continue to lie around or rest, this suggests poisoning.

Baby’s Breath

It sounds sweet enough, but it’s not so safe when it comes to your pet’s digestion. Can cause vomiting and diarrhoea.


The carnation isn’t the most toxic but it’s one to keep your eye out for and can cause mild stomach upset and mild skin irritations such as dermatitis.


Not as fatal as other plants, but a common Australian plant that when eaten can cause quite a bit of irritation along with vomiting, diarrhoea, excess saliva (hyper salivation), and dermatitis.


Who doesn’t love a daffodil? Cats that’s who. With the bulbs being the most toxic part, this plant will cause vomiting, excess saliva, diarrhoea; potential convulsions if a large amount is eaten, low blood pressure, tremors and abnormal heartbeat.


Ivy foliage is more poisonous than its fruit and can cause vomiting, abdominal pain, hyper salivation, and diarrhoea.


Although lovely, lilies are considered to be highly toxic to cats, even in small amounts as they can cause kidney failure.

Morning Glory

Morning glory can cause hallucinations along with gastrointestinal upset, agitation, tremors, disorientation, loss of body movement and anorexia.


This common Christmas decoration may cause discomfort and irritation to the mouth and stomach, sometimes causing mild vomiting.

Tomato Plant

Great for salad not so great for your cat causing: hyper salivation, lack of appetite, severe stomach upset, diarrhoea, drowsiness, depression, confusion, behavioural change, weakness, dilated pupils, slow heart rate.


It’s the bulb, which rests at the bottom of the plant in the dirt that is the most toxic, which is usually fine for a cat that doesn’t dig. But, it can lead to stomach upset, drooling, loss of appetite, depression, convulsions and increased heart rate.

Should your feline friend eat part of a poisonous plant, rush the cat to your local Greencross Vets as soon as possible. If you can, take the plant with you for ease of identification. And, don’t forget a great way to keep your cat away from, or from ingesting, toxic plants is to use catnip as prevention, which also has the added benefit of aiding digestion and eliminating hairballs.